Penitent Curse - Project Zomboid Serious RP

100% be down for this, plus the modlist looks solid and more or less what I already play with in singleplayer.

Cent two: I don't know if you are just using the "Paroxysm" name to appeal to an earlier server or if you are seriously intending to continue Paroxysm. If it is the latter, I must implore you to consider something else. Paroxysm is a fucking horrible setting. I don't know how many of you were actually privy to how horrible it was back then, but I speak as an admin from that time/server. There is nothing underneath the hood except for esoteric meta lore that players have no chance to interact with. If it's still archived on this forums, Toast posted the entire Paroxysm lore back after the server ended, so you are free to go look at it. My advice instead is that you come up with your own cool zombie outbreak lore, because Paroxysm fucking sucked.
iirc the zombies are possessed by demons or something? or hell was full and the dead souls inhabited bodies? some shit like that, entirely supernatural

iirc the zombies are possessed by demons or something? or hell was full and the dead souls inhabited bodies? some shit like that, entirely supernatural

The world is actually already over because nuclear war happened in the 1980s and annihilated mankind. God was really upset by this and gave us a second chance. That was the world of Paroxysm. However, instead we began becoming theocratic and authoritarian, so God got really upset with this and just gave up on mankind and fucked off. Because there was no more Heaven or Hell, that means that the human soul has nowhere to go, so instead we become zombies when we die.

That's kind of a cool concept and I would love to see it in a book or a movie. But in the context of a roleplay server...how is a player supposed to interact with that? How does that affect my daily struggle in the zombie apocalypse? Who gives a shit? It was a pretty big influence on me when I designed lore/encounters for the teams I was on, as it was a perfect example of what NOT to do--don't load all the weight on the back-end of your setting, load it on the front and let people do with it as they will.

The only good thing it did was the pre-outbreak RP, because we had a cool, antagonistic yet super powerful church, corrupt cops in cahoots with them, and rife ganglife. That's just city HL2RP but it's the Universal (CATHOLIC) Union (CHURCH).

The world is actually already over because nuclear war happened in the 1980s and annihilated mankind. God was really upset by this and gave us a second chance. That was the world of Paroxysm. However, instead we began becoming theocratic and authoritarian, so God got really upset with this and just gave up on mankind and fucked off. Because there was no more Heaven or Hell, that means that the human soul has nowhere to go, so instead we become zombies when we die.

That's kind of a cool concept and I would love to see it in a book or a movie. But in the context of a roleplay server...how is a player supposed to interact with that? How does that affect my daily struggle in the zombie apocalypse? Who gives a shit? It was a pretty big influence on me when I designed lore/encounters for the teams I was on, as it was a perfect example of what NOT to do--don't load all the weight on the back-end of your setting, load it on the front and let people do with it as they will.

The only good thing it did was the pre-outbreak RP, because we had a cool, antagonistic yet super powerful church, corrupt cops in cahoots with them, and rife ganglife. That's just city HL2RP but it's the Universal (CATHOLIC) Union (CHURCH).
believe it or not, ultrakill lore

Oh, also Anony had one single bad event and fucked off because it demoralized him and left the Church in my hands with no direction as to where it was going to go.

The lower admin team was not given a clue as to the actual nature of the setting, so we didn't really know what to do. Toast and Anony left us to our own devices. Now--that might have been their fault, but it was also ours. I wouldn't excuse us for our failures. Sure, we were left alone, but there was no concerted effort to take the setting that was abandoned to us and turn it into something WE wanted. So it was a lack of initiative on our part.

never played zomboid ever but you know I'm always fiending for RP so hell yeah

Who cooked up this setting? It sounds like nothing more than a writing exercise gone too far, not something to base a community on.

The actual base setting for PZ isn't bad at all, it's just held back by its own engine limitations. When you play the game, it's very much implied via radio broadcasts that west point still has survivors day one and that Louisville doesn't fall until day 2 or 3 IIRC. The engine doesn't support factions of people held out in west point, still broadcasting on the radio and it doesn't support the huge broadcasting station in Louisville looking like the opening scene in the original dawn of the dead. Players can play those factions which go unexplored in the actual PZ engine. That could be our gold mine and setting right there. Also, bonus points, it's like mostly written and very easily accessible by new players

Might be one to look at Lambda Lambda if you're trying to get other people to pick up and manage this whilst you're busy with TRP development

do zomboid servers still have the issue that nobody can join until the server restarts when somebody decides to update their mod on the workshop?

i remember that being a real pain last time i played/hosted for people.

do zomboid servers still have the issue that nobody can join until the server restarts when somebody decides to update their mod on the workshop?

i remember that being a real pain last time i played/hosted for people.
i remember this issue happening a couple months ago when me and some friends played. i eventually hosted my own server after the previous owner had a mental breakdown due to no skittles in his mre or something.

don’t recall us having any issues as we just set a modlist at the start and didn’t deviate from it for the month or so it was up. it helps to keep the modlist and maps slim as possible to avoid any problems later on. not sure what differences there are with a serious rp server.

anyways i would be interested in this for sure, be it helping with general storyboarding, factions, admin work, etc.

1727298480854.jpeg

*A message briefly is heard over the radio several times it cuts in and out and appears to be somewhat akin to an EAS broadcast.*

"BREAK BREAK, All Survivors of the Kentucky Quarantine zone this is the Kentucky National Guard & Air National Guard Stationed currently at :--------; We Will be HANDING OUT :-----: At [RIVERSIDE] at the following dates and times [-2---] [-----] [----9] approach the facility unarmed, Those who successfully complete several medical screening tests will be marked for [-----] to fort [-----] --- MAKE SURE YOU BRING THE FOLLOWING: two pieces of Government issued Identification, proof of vaccination (If acquir-)

**The Message ends briefly after this it seems vital information is missing...great how useful**

// side note: You should consider using the day-one mod //

don’t recall us having any issues as we just set a modlist at the start and didn’t deviate from it for the month or so it was up. it helps to keep the modlist and maps slim as possible to avoid any problems later on. not sure what differences there are with a serious rp server.

fair enough, i just saw the huge modlist and figured it might be a pain in the arse if still a thing (iirc b42 is supposed to be doing something better with mod versions, but ain't nobody got time waiting around for that).

we had a fairly slim set of mods, but maybe it was just unlucky because it felt like one of them got updated every half day or so.

fair enough, i just saw the huge modlist and figured it might be a pain in the arse if still a thing (iirc b42 is supposed to be doing something better with mod versions, but ain't nobody got time waiting around for that).

we had a fairly slim set of mods, but maybe it was just unlucky because it felt like one of them got updated every half day or so.
it is still a problem but there are ways to set up autorestarts when a mod updates, ends up not being too bad

Users who are viewing this thread