New Beginnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gangleider

speak into the shell
Community Leadership
Jun 11, 2007
Edit: https://www.taconbanana.com/threads/dialogue.42614/#post-813971

In 2007, Taco N Banana was founded, and since then we have explored many settings together—from Half-Life, Terminator, and Stalker to Halo, our own renditions of zombie apocalypse settings, and various RRs. For seventeen years, we’ve stood as a household name in Garry’s Mod. Many servers that have come and gone have used our content for their projects, from maps to models. Our fingerprints are everywhere on this hobby.

But something else has accompanied that name, bringing down the best of our ideas and worlds, and distancing many people from here. The very toxicity, tolerance for intolerance, and persistent neurotic behavior that have dragged our community through the mud has also defiled its name—for new players and old. Cycles of neuroticism persist despite all efforts to permanently expunge them. As a consequence, almost two decades of woes and grief stain our name in the wider Garry’s Mod sphere, crippling our new player retention and our ability to find more developers.

The truth is, there are few places on Garry’s Mod to do what we do here anymore. Players are splintered and divided across these spaces because of the cycles that we have failed to break. Many have sworn off Garry’s Mod forever over their sour experiences with this community, and the onus of responsibility falls upon the leaders to rectify that.

If there is to be a future for this place, it must be one where everyone can feel welcome, and the cycles of the past are truly left behind us. If there are ever to be new memories to be made, the way we do things has to change—for good, this time.

In light of the above, we have set forth on the long, long road to begin reshaping this place from top to bottom. The culture of this place has to change, and there are many big and little things that will need to be done to achieve that shift—from how our administration is picked and organized to how we approach server projects and how moderation is applied within the public spaces we provide.

This will include an entire facelift and reorganization of the community spaces on the forums and Discord, and most pertinently, a name change. We want to make sure that the changes we are making stick, and that we leave the past behind us. This was not a decision made lightly, especially given how sentimental many of us are about the good memories made over the years, but we feel that this is ultimately the best way forward.

To aid in this effort, we have some returning faces who have already been at work reshaping the way forward: skylion skylion , cindyslug cindyslug , and TankNut TankNut will be stepping up to the role of Community Leadership. TankNut will also be heading development efforts on our current (more on that in a moment) and future projects.

With the sunsetting of this HL2 iteration ahead, we’re going to take a period of time off from serious roleplay while we re-examine our approach to better fit the current times and how expectations have changed over the years. During this period, we’ll likely be exploring alternatives like shorter-term play sessions of various games inside and outside of Garry’s Mod, to bide the time between projects as well as foster a stronger sense of community outside of our own personal bubbles.

One of the ways we’ll be exploring that change in approach is by hosting our own in-house developed server using DarkRP as a framework—one that will prominently feature the community’s past settings like HL2 and TRP as a sort of crossover episode between what we consider to be the best our community has had to offer. We’ll go into more detail on the specifics in another thread to be posted within the next few days, but we’re generally aiming for a more ‘classic’ experience, focused on player freedom rather than stringent rules like NLR/FailRP or overly flashy pre-packaged GmodStore addons. We’re not just hoping to run a standard DarkRP server here, but to make the gamemode our own and craft a unique experience you won’t find elsewhere.

As for TRP, the server continues to be under development by Lambda and his team, and the changes announced today don’t have any impact on our continued support for the project. Moving on past the launch of our DarkRP, we will be working on our future endeavors into serious roleplay and we'd ask that everyone takes the opportunity to decompress. It's simple to acknowledge that there have been many issues plaguing our recent roleplay servers, and we'd like to take a brief respite from hosting them in rapid succession. This is so that we can take our time working on script development, world building, possible roleplay dynamics, all of the good things that go into a successful server.

There still remains much to be done regarding this monumental effort, and we’ll provide more information in the near future as more of the complete picture is ironed out. We hope you understand now why things have been so quiet on our front, and why discretion was needed as we continue to draw this project together.

Here’s to even more memories together.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

I will be quietly optimistic about this. As much as I'd miss the name, ditching it for a new chapter and a new beginning is unironically a good step. But we'll have to see what all else comes from these changes.

DarkRP, i can't wait to RDM people

but in all seriousness i'll have to wait and see where this would take us. hopefully this change will be more positive and in the future it'll bring us back to some good ol' stuff with new pair of eyes and brain.

my love for HL2RP will be eternal and hopefully it'll continue as well.

Last edited:
ah yes the best way to start moving in a new direction is by raising up the same people who have been in power for the last however-many servers

truly an astonishing change of course

I will be quietly optimistic about this. As much as I'd miss the name, ditching it for a new chapter and a new beginning is unironically a good step. But we'll have to see what all else comes from these changes.

Believe me when I say that none of us are very eager to let go of the name TnB.

We sat around for hours and days trying to justify ourselves the cause to keep it, and the truth is just that moving on from it significantly outweighed the tradition. Too much bad baggage is attached to the name and no amount of effort to break the community away from those cycles have stayed in effect for long.

We want to make sure that the foundation we're laying today isn't just going to lead to a fresh coat of paint over the underlying problems.

I think the worst thing here is that none of this was even brought up in discussion for the wider community.

For higher-administration to internally decide not only to bring back three people who left the community over various disputes with the playerbase and raise them to community leadership, internally decide to ditch the name of TnB and internally decide to move on to DarkRP of all things.

All of this without any community input from the playerbase (as far as I can see) is fucking retarded.

That's my feedback.

I think the worst thing here is that none of this was even brought up in discussion for the wider community.

For higher-administration to internally decide not only to bring back three people who left the community over various disputes with the playerbase and raise them to community leadership, internally decide to ditch the name of TnB and internally decide to move on to DarkRP of all things.

All of this without any community input from the playerbase (as far as I can see) is fucking retarded.

That's my feedback.
bro there’s like 10 active players left it’s not that deep I promise pookie darkrp is the best course of action at this point

that fact in itself is just grim and a telling sign of the way this community is heading. LOL
bro there’s like 10 active players left it’s not that deep I promise pookie darkrp is the best course of action at this point

ok maybe nat attack is onto something maybe we can do TRP for the 500th time like bro bring back stalker rp or stfu and settle on darkrp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread